As a first generation techno-entrepreneur, he founded Praj in 1983. He dreamt and developed Praj into a world-class engineering company specialized in Agri-processing opportunities.
With strong belief in principle of triple bottom-line, his business model is inherently scalable, replicable and sustainable. Praj fostered the emergence of advanced technologies in certain Bio-Energy and allied space. As India’s biggest Biofuel Technology company, Praj has 1000++ footprints in over 100+ countries, across five continents.
Deeply passionate about Bio-economy and Environment, Pramod is committed to develop clean and green technologies. As a champion of the powerful premise that ‘Innovation and Entrepreneurship can change the world for better’, he has been a tireless crusader in propagating spirit of entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship.
Pramod is a ‘Distinguished Alumnus of IIT Bombay (1971)’ and an alumnus of Harvard Business School (AMP 1995).
Pramod’s recent recognitions include:
- Prestigious ‘George Washington Carver Award 2020’ by BIO-Impact, Washington DC, USA – he is the first Indian to receive this global honour.
- ‘D.Litt.’ by Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth (TMV). This is in recognition of his exemplary contribution to the Biofuel Industry worldwide, and for establishing & institutionalizing quality benchmark of Indian products & services at global level.
He has been associated with many eminent organizations holding responsible positions from time to time. He is:
- President of Advisory Council of Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU)
- Member of the Board of Entrepreneurship Development Center at NCL, Pune
- Member of the Board of Governors of National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE)
- Founder Trustee of Pune International Center (PIC)
- Founder Member and President of Indian Federation of Green Energy (IFGE)
- Founder Member of Inter Institutional Inclusive Innovations Center (i4c)
- Member on the Advisory Boards of reputed academic institutes of Engineering, Technology and Management, strongly promoting Industry – Academia interaction, leading to Innovation and Entrepreneurship
In the recent past, he had held many leadership positions, some of which are :
- President of Maharatta Chamber of Commerce, Industries & Agriculture (MCCIA) Pune for 2016-18 (till Sept 2018)
- President of Science & Technology Innovation Park Pune during 2016-17; Chairman of CII National Committee on Bio-Energy / Biofuels / Renewable Energy from 2007-08 till 2016-17
Awards and Recognitions:
Some of the awards Pramod has received for entrepreneurship and excellence are –
- ‘Asia’s Greatest Leader 2018’ award by URS AsiaOne Magazine; Process reviewers PriceWaterhouseCoopers P.L.
- ‘ABP Majha Sanman Puraskaar 2018’ in Aug 2018
- The ‘Distinguished Alumnus Award’ and ‘Distinguished Service Award’ by IIT, Bombay.
- ‘BioSpectrum Leadership Award’ for his remarkable work in promoting the cause of Biofuels in the past three decades
- ‘Empresario Most Inspiring Entrepreneur Award’ by National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), Mumbai
- ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ by Sugar Technologists’ Association of India
- ‘Maxell (Maharashtra Corporate Excellence) Life Time Achievement Award’ by Maxell Foundation, Mumbai
- ‘Life Time Achievement Award’ by Army Institute of Technology, Pune
- ‘National Level Entrepreneurship Award’ by Jagatik Marathi Chamber of Commerce.
- ‘Outstanding Contribution through Innovation Award’ by Chemtech Foundation for leading Praj into developing innovative technologies.
- ‘Arya Chanakya Maharashtra Rajya Udyojak Shreshtha Puraskar’ (for best practice of Corporate Governance and Corporate Social Responsibility) by MAEER’s MIT School of Government, Pune
- Voted amongst ‘Globally Top 100 People’ in BioEnergy space by Biofuels Digest, consecutively for three years.